Amazing Health Benefits of Jackfruit
- Jackfruit is the world’s largest tree fruit.
- The seeds are rich in thiamine and riboflavin.
- Seeds of Jackfruit has an antimicrobial effect.
- It contains a high amount of nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, carbohydrates, electrolytes, fibre, fat, and protein.
Jackfruit, scientifically known as “Artocarpus heterophyllus”, belongs to the “Moraceae” family, which is normally found in tropical areas like Thailand, Malaysia, India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka and also in Brazil. Jackfruit is considered as the world largest tree-borne fruit with an average weight of 3.5kg to 10 kg and can reach up to 25kg. Jackfruit is sweet in taste and has a distinguishable and nice smell. The exterior of the Jackfruit is covered with spiny, knobby bumps and is green in colour. The interior part of Jackfruit consists of large “bulbs” of yellow, banana-flavoured flesh, massed among narrow ribbons of thin, tough undeveloped perianths, and a central, pithy core.
Grown in India: Jackfruit grows abundant in the South and East of India. It is cultivated in Western Ghats, Deoria, Gorakhpur, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Konkan, and Karnataka. Faizabad, Uttar Pradesh is well known for its tasty and variety of Jackfruit. In Tamil, it is called as Pala Pazham / Palli Kai. In Tamil Nadu, Panruti is famous for Jackfruit cultivation.
|Total lipid (fat)||g||0.64|
|Carbohydrate, by difference||g||23.25|
|Fiber, total dietary||g||1.5|
|Vitamin C, total ascorbic acid||mg||13.7|
|Vitamin A, RAE||µg||5|
|Vitamin A, IU||IU||110|
|Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol)||mg||0.34|
|Fatty acids, total saturated||g||0.195|
|Fatty acids, total monounsaturated||g||0.155|
|Fatty acids, total polyunsaturated||g||0.094|
|Fatty acids, total trans||g||0|
|Source:USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference|
INCREDIBLE HEALTH BENEFITS OF JACK FRUIT
1. Cancer healer
Due to its richness in antioxidants and phytonutrient properties, plus its content of Vitamin C, Jackfruit can cure different types of cancer such as lung cancer, breast cancer, gastric cancer, skin cancer, and prostate cancer. These properties treat cell damage and develop resistance.
2. Weight loss agent
Jackfruit can help with weight loss because it’s free of fat and low in calories that enable dieters to safely and comfortably consume it and fully benefit from all its other nutrients.
3. Blood pressure reducer
With its high amount of potassium, Jackfruit reduces and controls blood pressure which consequently lowers the chances of heart attacks, strokes, and cardio-disorder in general.
4. Digestion improver
The regular intake of Jackfruit helps in improving the digestive system because it has a high content of fibres (3.6 g for every 100 g). It causes no stomach pain even if eaten in huge quantities and improves the bowel movement. By removing carcinogenic chemicals out of the large intestine, it also protects the colon.
5. Insomnia curer
Sleeping disorders can be cured by eating Jackfruit, due to their richness with iron and magnesium that assist in improving the overall quality of sleep. Magnesium also helps in preventing anaemia which is one of the major causes of insomnia.
Although extremely sweet in taste, Jackfruits are safely consumed by diabetics because it slowly absorbs sugar into the bloodstream which enables diabetic patients to safely consume it while getting all its health benefits. It also increases glucose tolerance for both types of diabetes.
7. Eye and skin maintainer
Due to the richness of Vitamin A, Jackfruit is good for maintaining healthy eyesight as it enhances eye vision and acts as a preventer against cataract and macular degeneration. It is also considered as an active anti-aging component for skin radiance. It protects damaged skin caused by sun exposure and treats wrinkles.
8. Ulcer healer
To treat ulcer disorder, Jackfruit is the best way because it contains powerful anti-ulcerative, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
9. Bone supporter
Eating Jackfruit is highly recommended because it contains calcium which is good for healthy bones. Besides calcium, it contains vitamin C and magnesium which further assists in calcium absorption.
10. Nerve system booster
Stress, Muscle Weakness, and Fatigue can also be treated by consuming Jackfruit in the daily diet for its rich content of vitamins such as thiamine and niacin (A portion of 100 g of Jackfruit pulp contains 4 mg of niacin). It is also a perfect source of energy.
IMPORTANT TIPS AND FACTS OF JACKFRUIT
1. Jackfruit is a summer season fruit coinciding with other tropical favourites like mango, durian, and Mangosteen.
2. Buy Jackfruit that emits mild yet rich flavour and just yields to thumb pressure. Thorn-like projections become softer in the case of the ripe fruit.
3. Once ripen, the fruit deteriorates rather quickly unless its processed arils (bulbs) stored in the refrigerator.
4. The fruit also used in jam, jelly and chutney preparations.
5. The Fibrous part inside of jackfruit is incredibly sticky, so it may be helpful to wear gloves while handling it.
6. Jackfruit seed can be soaked in milk and honey. Smash them into a fine paste and apply on your face. Let it dry for sometimes and then wash your face to get flawless skin.
7. Jackfruit seeds are edible and very delicious when roasted or boiled in salted water. They are also made into flour.
SIDE EFFECTS OF JACKFRUIT
1. Jackfruits may cause an allergic reaction in people suffering from birch pollen allergies.
2. It may increase coagulation in people suffering from blood disorders.
3. It may alter the tolerance levels of glucose in diabetes patients.
4. The seeds of Jackfruit may have an immunostimulant effect in patients undergoing immunosuppression therapy or patients with tissue transplants.