Exotic Health Benefits of Black Cardamom
- Black cardamom is a key ingredient in India’s famous garam masala spice mixture.
- Black Cardamom has a vaguely camphor-like flavour.
- A strong aromatic flavour of Black Cardamom can fight against dental disorders such as teeth and gum infections, as well as bad breath.
- Black Cardamom is a well-known natural remedy for respiratory problems.
- Black cardamom oil can be used for massages to get rid of mental or emotional stress.
- Chewing a few seeds of Black Cardamom can help increase your appetite.
- Black cardamom is often chewed as a mouth freshener.
- The largest producer of the black cardamom in the world is Nepal.
Black Cardamom is scientifically called as “Amomum subulatum”. It belongs to the “Zingiberaceae” (ginger) family. Several species of genus Amomum are distributed all over the mountainous area from the Himalayas to Southern China. The main production regions are Eastern Nepal, India, and Bhutan. Black Cardamom, also known as longer, greater, large, brown or Nepal Cardamom. Black cardamom contains Sugary pulp, held together by viscid, dark red-brown capsules containing several seeds in each cell.
Grown in India: Black cardamom is one of the main cash crops cultivated in Sikkim and the Darjeeling district of West Bengal in India. It is also cultivated in parts of Uttarakhand and some other North-eastern states. In Tamil, Black cardamom is called as “Periya yalam” or “Katu elam”.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF BLACK CARDAMOM
1. Cardio-vascular health
Black Cardamom is a blessing to all heart patients. It helps in regulating cardiac rhythm and blood pressure. It also has the property to reduce and avoid blood clots.
2. Hair protection
Black Cardamoms are full of antioxidants. This promotes good health of hair and scalp giving you long, shiny and thick hair. Consumption of Black Cardamom helps to avoid hair and scalp problem because it has anti-bacterial and anti-septic properties in nature.
3. Skin protection
Black Cardamom is rich in antioxidants, potassium and Vitamin C, it helps in detoxification of the blood in the body. This process of detoxification improves the blood circulation in the body naturally giving you healthier skin. Make sure you consume it daily for effective results. It is also commonly used as an anti-aging constituent. It is known for its property to improve skin complexion that gives you glowing skin. As seen above, its anti-bacterial nature is extremely helpful in keeping skin allergies away. Skin allergies are also known as Contact Dermatitis.
4. Oral healthcare
Teeth and gum infections can be treated by Black Cardamoms. The cloves of cardamom if held between teeth give fresh breath avoiding the problem of bad breath, also known as halitosis. Black Cardamoms have an amazing aroma.
5. Respiratory care
The hot spice warms up the respiratory tract providing excellent circulation of air through the tract. The flow of mucous is carried smoothly by soothing the mucous membranes with the use of cardamoms. This resists any kind of inflammation of the respiratory tract avoiding disorders like cold, cough and whooping cough. Respiratory ailments like tuberculosis, asthma, lung congestion, and bronchitis can be treated with the help of Black Cardamom.
6. Anaesthetic property
The essential oils extracted from this spice can act as an excellent anaesthetic and pain reliever. Black Cardamom acts like a sedative helping cure headaches, fatigue and reduce stress.
The antioxidant properties of Black Cardamom are well known. These properties are imparted to the spice by two components present in it namely: Di-indolylmethane (DIM) and Indole-3-carbinol (I3C). These help to prevent and fight against cancers like breast, colon, ovarian and prostate cancers.
8. Urinary tract health
As Black Cardamom is a diuretic, it helps regulate the water-electrolyte balance in the body. This results in good urinary tract health and helps effective renal functions.
IMPORTANT TIPS AND FACTS OF BLACK CARDAMOM
1. Always try to buy black cardamom whole rather than in seed form as it begins to lose its potency and aroma when the skin is removed, and seeds are stored without the skin.
2. The pods and seeds of Black Cardamom should be stored only in an airtight container. Storing them in dry conditions will keep them fresh for a year.
3. Black Cardamom is frequently used in several Indian sweet dishes and punches.
4. Black Cardamom is used as a flavouring agent in pickles and custard.
5. Black cardamom is used as a flavouring in dishes like Pulavu, Biriyani, and meat preparations.
6. Black cardamom seeds are used to flavour tea.
7. In India, it is used as pan masala and added in betel leaf preparations.
8. Boil 1/4tsp of Black Cardamom powder in a cup of water. Drink it when feeling like vomiting.
9. Black Cardamom is used to treat Aphthous Ulcers by add 1/2tsp of sugar with 4 g Black Cardamom powder. Place it on the tongue and let it melt.
SIDE EFFECTS OF BLACK CARDAMOM
1. Excess intake of Black Cardamom may cause respiratory problems such as difficulty in breathing, shortness of breath tightness in the chest, etc.
2. People sensitive to Black Cardamom may also have problems related to skin such as swelling of the skin, it is mostly found aggravated in the winter season.
3. People unknowingly experience as some spices tend to react to a few medicines. So, people taking medicines such as Anticoagulants, Liver medicines, Antidepressants, Aspirin, Anti-platelet drugs must take advice from your doctor before consuming Black Cardamom.
4. The person with stone in gallbladder must not take cardamom in amounts greater as cardamom spice seed can trigger gallstone colic.
5. The person suffering from hyperacidity must minimize the use of cardamom as excessive use can cause hyperactivity and mouth ulcers.